Your wife has fled the house for an afternoon of… not dealing with the kids. So there you are the man of the house left to deal with the rugrats by yourself. You are not scared at all. This will be great. You’ll watch TV until you kick them out into the backyard to try to ride the dog like a small horse. Then you can have time to pick between quarterbacks in your fantasy football league. Okay, Carr, try to throw to your own team this week.
But then there is a rumble of thunder. It’s indicating more than just rain, it means you now have to entertain your kids... inside. Do not fear, here are five rainy day activities for you to do with your kids.
1) Puzzles - These are always great. They challenge your children’s minds and take time to complete. If you want to be real savvy, buy some cheap kids puzzles and store them away for a rainy day. Then they’ll be excited to have a new toy too!
2) Coloring - Kids have always liked to color. But did you know that there are adult coloring books too? They are the latest relaxation craze. Now when your kid asks to color, you can doodle right beside them with your very own adult coloring book. I’ve tried this and you’d be surprised how relaxed you feel when you focus on staying in the lines.
3) Build a Fort - Remember when you were kid? There were no iPhones, Netflix or internet to entertain you. You had to go out and make up your own fun and it was uphill both ways. And part of that unbridled imagination was building a fort out of couch cushions. Now you can share some fun from your childhood with your kids. (And possibly find the Apple TV remote.)
4) Make Cookies - Yes, this is the tastiest idea of them all. You can go all out and make them from scratch or pull out a tube of slice and bake. Either way you kids get to learn more about the kitchen and it is a time consuming process. Make sure to take photos of your kids devouring their newfound knowledge.
5) Karaoke - Yep karaoke is not just for the office party anymore. YouTube is filled with kid karaoke videos. Let your kids take turns picking from some of their favorite songs. And there are adult karaoke videos too. You can introduce them to the sweet sounds of Lionel Richie's "Hello". (You're welcome.)